Thursday, June 5, 2008

Great Expectations

With less than two months to go, I am starting to feel the pressure. This of course got me thinking about expectations.

It has forced me to think about these great expectations that we brides set for ourselves. I am completely guilty of leaving no stone unturned when it comes to seeking out the “perfect” ideas that will knock our guest’s socks off. I pore over wedding blogs every day, trying to grab bits of inspiration that will make our wedding a conglomeration of magnificent ideas and personal touches. Some days, I am excited and thrilled with all of the possibilities and awesome ideas I have piling up. And other days, I just feel exhausted from it all. I see photo after photo after photo of all of these gorgeous weddings in exotic locations with charming little everything and I feel like I’m a failure of a bride if I do not produce something amazing!

These are the days I have to remind myself to step back, prioritize, and not obsess over
every. single. detail. These are the days that I escape from it all by cuddling on the couch with Mr. Scott, or going for a run that forces me to breathe deeply, or even taking a walk with Mr. Scott and point to all the interesting things on our journey. And suddenly... I’m reminded that what it’s all about. Not the perfect invitations or the perfect signature cocktail or the perfect jewelry or the perfect perfect perfect…. it’s about the perfect guy for me and how perfectly happy he makes me, and how perfect our wedding will be to us — not because of all the details, but because it’s that’s ours.

That’s not to say that I don’t love gorgeous cakes, or adorable favors, creative reception designs, or fantastic shoes, or drool-worthy stationery. And while there’s nothing wrong with trying to add lots of personal touches and fabulous finishes to our wedding, I do have to learn to focus on our big picture instead of everyone else’s big picture that I want for myself. And at the end of the day, I look at Mr. Scott and it's all worth it. I am marrying the man of my dreams, my love and the one who surpassed all my expectations. How great is that?

No comments: